Playing It Real

I have made adjustments to my solo performance to set a natural presence.

I became aware that my reactions to the recorded monologue weren’t natural and also didn’t include a situation. Instead, I was listening to the monologue on the radio and reacting accordingly. This method didn’t make sense so I decided to think back to where I envisaged my monologue to come from, and that is from my sub-conscious. I then studied how one would react to something in the subconscious and came to the conclusion that one needs to distract themselves in an activity. The other purpose behind my monologue was that it was something that all individuals can relate to. I then started to ponder that if the monologue can interact with the audience then whatever I’m doing  should reinforce this.

Therefore, I considered the idea of writing , trying to distract myself  from my subconscious thoughts however this didn’t really involve a rigid structure. So I started to reflect on the order of my day, tracking every moment and then I came upon the idea of acting through getting ready for the day. This process applies to everyone and involves a determined structure too. However, to make it more interesting I felt I should apply the scenario to me. Therefore, the scene both applies to everyone, everyone gets up and gets dressed for the day, but also to me directly , so my own personal way of getting ready.

Finally, I needed to cogitate over the circumstances of ‘getting ready’, what for?, why?, where? and when?. I will get ready in the morning for a University lecture. So the process of putting on my clothes, having a shave, brushing my hair, packing my bag with books, putting on my jacket and shoes , picking up my keys all must be comprised to constitute realism. To sustain this I will enter the scene with a towel over my head , as though I have just entered from the shower, and then proceed to get dressed .

The monologue will always be in my mind . Sometimes in my reactions I will  ignore it, sometimes accept it , but the main focus must be completing my task, getting ready .

The lighting will now be a white wash throughout cued from when I enter the scene, and the scene will end as the monologue concludes .