Pre Performance Developments

At my technical rehearsal for my solo performance I developed my ideas to create a finalized performance.

I have implanted the final lighting changes, in a pre- performance set of a bright white wash over the audience, dim lighting on the stage. This will then be altered on my entrance; a bright wash covering the whole performance space. There will be a sudden change from lighting states , as though I have entered my room and turned the light on. At the end of the performance, there will be a 5 second fade as I exit the performance space. Sound wise, the recording will start when I enter the performance space, and the end of this will signal the end of the performance.

I have also decided to implement props, obviously items that I need to get changed (towel, clothes, glasses spray, shaver, aftershave, hairbrush). I have contemplated setting the performance space like my bedroom , however I then realized that this wouldn’t add anything to my performance, as the concentration is on the regimented activity and it’s juxtaposition to the monologue. However, I do feel it is important to decorate the space with a few props so that it does resemble my bedroom and not an empty studio, adding a lamp and a couple of books, and possibly a laptop too. I have staged a table and coffee table, with all my props laid out on, as though a desk and makeshift bed.  I have determined that my room will look a mess to add realism to represent student accommodation, the environment I want to try and create, personal to me yet the scene is applicable to the audience. I have ruminated over the addition of a mirror too . The mirror will aid me as I use it when brushing my hair, having a shave, adding naturalness to the scene. Yet, the mirror will be a tool for being reminded of the loss when I stare into it wistfully at the end of the performance, reminding myself that the loss will never be forgotten. I am pondering using a frame instead, which will act as a mirror in resembling it’s structure .

After the technical performance run, I have been given some constructive feedback which I will now take into consideration to improve my performance. Firstly, when I enter the performance space and proceed  to get dressed, removing my dressing gown. Then, just prior to the monologue starting I will display a reaction to the subconscious thoughts, to ensure realism. I will try and complete a simple activity and become stressed, as I can’t accomplish this. Yet, this must pass as I endeavor to forget about my thoughts as much as possible and continue the activity. I must also remember that there will be times when my body is exhausted and lethargic but my mind is racing, thoughts appearing quick and fast and register those. This can be employed by stopping and reflecting as the body becomes unable to function properly. Above all , though I must not  demonstrate the thoughts through mimed emotions or actions as this will hider me from portraying a relationship to and with the audience.

The other feature of my performance which needs to be addressed is my script. I will re-record the monologue , ensuring that I separate the script into sections to build a rhythm into the thoughts and the actions and ensuring that all the script is recorded with absolute clarity and crispness. I must not let the tone of my voice change for each section as it is the words and the rhythm of different parts that affects the movement in the scene. There should also be gaps in the monologue so that the audience can digest information and that the character onstage can prepare for the next move, digesting the information too.

Finally, I will still try my hardest to complete the activity, and not pause as much as I did in rehearsal as this looked unrealistic. Then, at the end of the monologue I will not pause between the final few losses, those displaying the emotions behind the loss of confidence, loss of a pet, loss of love, and loss of life, and concluding by reviewing the journey of loss. Instead  these these will flow as a continuous thought, all of similar magnitude in terms of the depth, intensity and upsetting atmosphere associated with these emotions. Also, due to the tense situation the thoughts would enter my head too quickly to properly process them, until I speculate about the thoughts at the end of the performance.